Thursday, January 28, 2010

Confetti Marshmallow Squares



These humble treats are evocative of my childhood. While they are fairly common in Canada, I have never seen them here in the United States. In fact, I couldn't even find multicolored mini marshmallows in Manhattan so I bought a couple of bags on my last trip home.

The modern marshmallow was invented in France in the mid-19th century by whipping together egg whites, sugar, and root sap from the Marshmallow plant (Althaea officinalis). This flowering, perennial herb was originally native to salty marshes in Europe, North Africa and Asia and was valued by the ancient Syrians, Chinese, Arabs and Romans for its medicinal properties. The Egyptians mixed Marshmallow root sap with honey and nuts to produce a treat thought to have been served exclusively to the Pharaoh.

The original process to make marshmallows was labor-intensive and expensive – limiting the market for the confections to the French elite. After technological advances, especially an extrusion process patented by American Alex Doumakes, mass production of marshmallows became possible. Over the years, the recipe has changed dramatically: root sap has been replaced with gelatin; egg whites are obsolete; and various forms of sugar, coloring and flavor have been added.

The average American consumes almost 1/4 pound of marshmallows per year. They are used in a variety of American desserts and snacks including Rice Krispies treats, s’mores, and fluffernutters.

Confetti marshmallow squares are easy to make and ideal for the young, beginner or untalented cook. They are similar to an American confection called 'church windows' which also contains marshmallows and peanut butter as well as chocolate chips, coconut and nuts.


Makes 25 squares


Ingredients
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup butterscotch chips
8 oz multicolored mini marshmallows

Directions

1. In a medium pot over lowest heat, melt butter and peanut butter. Add butterscotch chips and stir constantly until melted and smooth. The chips may take a while to fully melt but do not increase heat. Alternately, this can be done in a microwave.

2. Once melted, remove the pot from the heat. While cooling, butter a 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Line with wax paper and butter again.

3. Once the pot has cooled enough that you can comfortably touch the bottom, mix in the marshmallows until well coated with sauce. Marshmallows may melt if added to sauce that has not sufficiently cooled.

4. Spread mixture in the baking pan and use the back of a spoon to even out the surface. Place in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Using a sharp knife cut into 25 squares. Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer; separate layers with wax paper to prevent sticking.


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember never being entirely sure what was binding the marshmallows together. Now I know..

Anonymous said...

My Mom still makes these every year at Christmas! I had no idea they were a Canadian delicacy!

Anonymous said...

Of course! They are my favourite! I never realized that they don't cut across borders....

Anonymous said...

Put that picture away! I have a hard enough time convincing people Canadians have electricity without having to explain that Betty Crocker got stopped at the border too.

Anonymous said...

Canadian? I thought they were Mormon. I have distinct memories of these from family dinners on my Latter Day Saint side of the clan.

Anonymous said...

During our tenure in the states we introduced these to the children in Iowa, Philadelphia and Boston. They were a major hit.

Anonymous said...

I just received your food blog for confetti squares – what a sweet recipe (you can find colored mini-marshmallows in North Dakota, too – must be our proximity to Canada).

Dan said...

These are so good....I remember eating them when I was young..and I make them now .... :)

Chef Kenneth said...

I might have to make these for our last trip to the Opera this year...they can be my Elixer of Love for Norma and Paul!

Malore the Explorer said...

2 thumbs up from the 10 yr old nephew! They were picture perfect and yummy. He got to keep all but 4 squares.

dining room tables said...

Binding marshmallows is something that I am curious of. Thanks for this idea! My kids will love this!

amy dame said...

these are my favourite "dainty" ever! i'm curious where you're from in canada, that you had them as a child? i grew up on the prairies, and these were at every baby shower i ever went to. they're so common that there's a deli in the winnipeg airport that sells them. no one on the west coast ever knows what i'm talking about when i start craving them....

AKR said...

I grew up in Calgary, so it definitely sounds like a prairie phenomenon.

Anonymous said...

My Grandmother in Ontario, use to have a batch on hand all the time for guest. They were a hit amongst all her grandchildren. I still make them to this day.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in BC and they were at all our baby showers too, but maybe it's because my parents were from Saskatchewan

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this recipe! When I was craving them at college and had marshmallows to use I had no idea how hard the recipe would be to find. I grew up in Ontario, and distinctly remember these at every school potluck.

Anonymous said...

Good post and Smart Blog
Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Ancient Egypt and more Hapi and Three Fertility Gods thanks again admin

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe! I visited family in Canada this past week and was surprised to see these at a bakery. I've been living in the US for a number of years and had forgotten that these squares even existed. Am looking forward to making them for my kids now.

Anonymous said...

I am from prince Edward island and these go around ay any gatheri ngs

Anonymous said...

Such a Canadian thing, I too have been living in AZ for the last 12 years and have never seen the mini colored marshmallows!, love these.