Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bittersweet Mocha Silk Pie

This is the first pie recipe I have made that is actually “easy as pie” – cleaning up takes more time than making the dessert - and it receives rave reviews for being rich, creamy and very chocolatey.

The secret is that this recipe is known to vegans worldwide, but has not made it into the omnivorous domain. It may have to do with how it has been branded – primarily as chocolate tofu pie. As a former vegetarian, I know that once you identify something as vegetarian or vegan, omnivores will look the other way (if they are polite) and run like hell (if they are not). I call this phenomenon veg-phobia.

I was introduced to this recipe by my friend Cathy who lives in Seattle. Her husband doesn’t eat dairy and she raved about this pie as quick fix. I have adapted her recipe by substituting coffee for alcohol.

The consumers of this pie gave it two thumbs up.


Serves 8 to 10

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
OR
1 prepared graham cracker crust (or vegan equivalent)

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or vegan equivalent)
1 pound silken tofu, drained
2 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules

Directions
1. If you are making a crust, mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Using your hands, pat mixture along the bottom and sides of a pie dish. Bake at 350 F degrees for 5 to 7 minutes and set aside.
2. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave.
3. In a blender, liquefy tofu, sweetener, coffee and melted chocolate chips.
4. Pour into crust and refrigerate or freeze for 3 or more hours. Serve chilled.

You will likely find yourself with extra filling. Pour it into ramekins or small bowls – an ideal dessert for one or two people, especially for the gluten-allergic people in your life. You could also pour the entire pie filling into a glass bowl and serve it as rich chocolate pudding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Aly! I have made this recipe many times, it is a Gem. Especially if using Bernard Callebaut (the non-vegan kind!) Anyways, I'll have to give your recipe a go one day soon. Hope you are well, I love your site! I tried to give you a vote and somehow I was computer illiterate that day, or something. Will try again soon! Xoxo Cielia

Anonymous said...

OMG, this looks so good. I'm defintely going to have to try this one.

Anu said...

I made this yesterday for a potluck and it was a hit! Very rich. Next time I might try using an oreo crust for added "umph."